Sunday, September 19, 2010

At the mosque...Sunday

Went to the mosque today and took my son for his first Qu'ran lessons.  I also went for Qu'ran lessons.  As I was there it was so nice to hear the women telling me how nice I looked in my hijab.  It felt good to have it on again. 

Talked to hubby and he said he bought me several hijabs from where he is at right now.  (still out of the country if you remember)  That was nice to hear. 

I must say that as much as I enjoy swimming and being by the pool, I would still rather wear my hijab.  Why?  Just because you wear hijab doesn't mean you can't do things like that.  My brother-in-law is of the opposite opinion.  He thinks that women who wear hijab has no reason to be at the beach or the pool.  If you are covered then it is a sin for you to look at men who are half naked.  Uh, if you think of it that way then isn't it still a sin even if you are the one half naked?  Come on!  I don't go swimming so I can look at half naked men.  Give me a break!  I go swimming to cool off, to have fun with my son and to enjoy the water and the sun. 

There are several new designs out that allow you to enjoy the sun and fun and still be modestly dressed.  You don't HAVE to walk around in a string bikini.  (on a personal note I can't stand women that do...especially the ones that wear thongs....I find it gross) 

I discovered snorkling this summer while on vacation.  It is a wonderful experience.  And by the way, most scuba divers cover up to protect them from the elements and cold water....so why couldn't I cover up to protect myself from the elements and water and still go snorkling? 

It cracks me up how much society has trained the world to look at women who are dressed modestly as being oppressed.  It I am half or completele naked then I am not oppressed...I am free.  Huh?  More like I am just a slave to man who by the way is the one that created this image of freedom. 

There is a song by Sami Yusuf, a british singer/song writer, titled 'Free'.  It speaks of a woman who wears the hijab and how she is truely free as she protects her dignity and her self image.  Just because a woman wears a scarf on her head doesn't mean she is a stupid idiot.

And speaking of this...if wearing a scarf on your head makes you oppressed then why aren't Jewish women oppressed?  They also wear scarves.  The orthodox women.  What about my grandmother, God rest her soul, ?  She always covered her head when she went to church....and she was Catholic!!!!  Was she oppressed too then?  Or is it considered oppression if you don't take it off the moment you walk out the door of your religious place or worship and try to fit into society?

Ok, I went way off on a tangent...sorry.  Going to stop for now.

1 comment:

  1. Masha'allah habibty. It must have been very nice to hear that your husband got you some new hijabs. Maybe he is reconsidering! That would be wonderful! Insha'allah khayr! I totally agree with everything you said! The idea that half-naked women are free and covered, modestly dressed women are oppressed is a joke. Jewish women cover their hair, Christian women cover their hair, and so do Muslims. Amazing how Muslim women are the only ones to take abuse for it!

    ReplyDelete