Saturday, September 18, 2010

What is hijab?

I think of this often as I cannot wear it.  It occurs to me, after seeing several women I know that do wear hijab....that hijab is not only dressing modestly or covering your hair.  Some of them cover their hair but wears clothes so tight you wonder why they bother to cover their hair.  Some cover their hair and dress modestly but don't pray or read Qu'ran.  Some do both, but gossip so bad it would probably make an Imam blush....

Hijab does not only apply to our dress or our hair...it applies also to our mouths.  If we walk around gossiping and back stabbing our supposed friends...how are we gaining any bonus points? 

One of the goals of Islam is gain bonus points (as I call them) to help wipe out your small sins on the day of judgement.  How do you gain bonus points?  By doing good deeds.  By being nice to people.  By not gossiping and not back stabbing!  By not cussing out someone just cause he/she cut in front of you. (very guilty of this myself...)  By holding the door open for someone instead of letting it slam in their face.  So what if you don't know that person?  By saying please and thank you.

Why do we, as human beings, have such a hard time with this?  Is it sooo hard?  I mean, do we despise our friends so much that we just have to gossip about them as soon as they leave the room?  Then why do we call them friends?  If you don't like someone then they are not your friend.  They are someone you don't like.  Just don't be around them.  It is as easy as that.  If someone mentions them, just politely say I don't like that person...let's talk about something else please.  Is that so hard?

I am often amazed, especially at women, how they can claim to be your best friend and then as soon as your gone...did you see what she was wearing?  Did you hear what she did?  etc, etc....  My favorite are the women at the mosque...waiting for prayers to begin.  Uh.....how are you gaining bouns points when you are about to pray and instead of meditating on what you should pray for or all the bad things that are going on in this world and how we should be greatful, all you can think about is....OMG!  Does she really think that scarf even matches that skirt?!  or...OMG!  How DARE she come here with pants on?!

Get a life!  Start earning bonus points and stop all the bitterness between us!  I am the first to listen to this advice.  I truely believe...don't cast stones if you live in a glass house....
What did Christ (PBUH) say?  He who is without sin...should throw the first stone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment